Webmaster's Woes

14.3.05

The Motive

Today, a stupid thing happened. It was so stupid it motivated me to create a blog to tell the world about it:
I created some .NET code to rewrite URL's for my pet project http://driversplanet.com/ .

The thing (rewriting http://site/printers/list.aspx to http://site/someHiddenPage.aspx) worked superb for my home computer, but at work (Windows 2000) there was an interesting problem:

Page would display just fine in Internet Explorer, while my favourite browser, FireFox, demanded to know my username and password, and eventually barfed a HTTP Error 401
401.1 Unauthorized: Logon Failed

This should not be happening :/ I hacked the web.config rewrite rules, wrecked the IIS site configuration and Allowed all types of users to access my computer, but what was the source of this sh*t was a stupid "Printers" share in IIS.

Yep, this is the second time I wished URL's were case-sensitive...

edit: Some people told me, they were case-sensitive.. I just don't know anymore :S

4 Comments:

  • a smekas driversplanet a kva:)

    By Anonymous Anonimni, at 11:08  

  • dj raj mal bl delj, kot pa da kle afne guncaš.

    šef

    By Anonymous Anonimni, at 15:01  

  • dear boss, your objections to my promotion of new ideas and developement of Internet technology in our company and in our private lives makes me doubt in you correct assesment of the necessity of technological advance which would lead our company to the peak of Internet solutions. Btw, your mouse is near the end of surgery :) I think she'll make it

    By Blogger Spiko, at 17:48  

  • Skrbnik spletnega dnevnika je odstranil ta komentar.

    By Anonymous Anonimni, at 22:54  

Objavite komentar

<< Home